Monday, July 21, 2014

Easier Northern Lights Technique Project of the Week


Good Monday morning everyone! Today I am sharing an easier way to get the Northern Lights look as a background on your card for my Project of the Week at Repeat Impression's blog, The House that Stamps Built. I have tried all different ways of getting the Northern Lights look on my cards, but wasn't happy with the random look when sponging. Then I found an example showing simple up and down sponging and was able to do it with this lovely result.

I created the card base with the largest Spellbinders Labels 4 die after I folded a piece of white card stock in half, not cutting the folded part. Then I cut a smaller white piece of the same shape die for my focal point. I chose 4 die inks - a yellow, light blue, light raspberry and navy blue for my sponging. I had a different sponge piece for each color. I started with the yellow ink, scrunched up the sponge, applied some ink and sponged up and down in a straight column, moved over and did that twice more. Then I added the blue and raspberry columns, sponging up and down over and over until I liked the look. It is fine if the colors overlap as that adds different colors to the Northern Lights sky look. Then I stamped Repeat Impression's deer trio, large pine tree and Thinking of You sentiment in an archival black ink. I created "ground" below the deer's feet with the navy ink and sponged over the whole piece with a little navy to tone it down a bit. Using a white gel pen, I added some stars in the sky. If you want an easy way to sponge "Northern Lights" on your card, give this method a try sometime.

I am entering this card in the Anything Goes challenges at Time 4 Scrap and Suzy Bee's Bloomin' Challenge.

6 comments:

Patricia St Martin said...

Karen, It is always nice to meet someone from Kenosha. So glad you stopped by. I see you like to do scenes I also love doing them. I was born in Iron Mountain Michigan so I gave seen lots of northern lights, you did a amazing job on your card. Thanks for stopping by.
Pat

Kim Heggins said...

This is so beautiful Karen...love the look of your northern lights.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Design and I love the Colour Tones you have used, thank you for sharing with us over at Suzy Bee's it always a pleasure...
Hugs
Suzy B ( Owner )
XX

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful Northern Lights scene. I always enjoy seeing those lights in the cold of winter. They are ever changing it seems with movement.

Hazel said...

Love the shape. Thanks for sharing your super creation for Suzy Bee's Bloomin' challenge 38 - hope to see you again soon, Hazel, DT x

Brenda said...

Oh my Karen, this is just a beautiful card and it does remind one of the northern lights!! Love, love it. Hugs, Brenda