Saturday, January 25, 2014

More Homework for my Stenciled Class


It is a bitter cold weekend here in Wisconsin and the forecast is for the weather to get even worse in the next few days. Good thing I am taking an on-line course on how to use stencils and I have very fun "homework" to do- play with what we are learning.

The best technique from today's videos for me was the idea of stamping inside of open stencils. Since I do not have any open stencils among the ones I have purchased so far, I made my own with my Silhouette machine and a cutting file called Welded Stars (from the Silhouette store.) Of course you could also make your own stencil with your dies and punches, and I am going to try that next.

This is the stencil I made out of blue cardstock:

And this is the card I made with it: 

I used some favorite stamps from Raisin Boat for inside the stars (Edgy Accents and Splash) and for the sentiment (Strokes of Wisdom.) I taped down my stencil and stamped inside the star cutouts with blue, purple and green Distress Inks. Then I took the edge of the Tim Holtz blending tool and sponged just around the edges with the same ink I had stamped with. I embossed the stars that were cut out of the stencil with an embossing folder from Lifestyle Crafts and attached with mounting tape to raise. Then I attached the completed piece to a navy blue card and used one of the star images in the inside as well: 

Stamping and stencil smiles, Karen 

1 comment:

Vicky Briggs said...

Being a CAS card, you made it interesting. I like it!!