Monday, July 27, 2015

Project of the Week - Piano Card with MISTI


It is my turn to share a Project of the Week at Repeat Impression's blog and I am sharing a piano card I made with Repeat Impression's stamps and a great new stamping tool I recently purchased. Over the years I have admired and pinned many piano cards but when I went to try to CASE them, there were no instructions. So I recently made this one and will share all the dimensions and details so you can make your own if you wish. I decided on the measurements of this larger card after creating the keyboard section with black and white keys to look like a piano. The nine white keys are 1/2" by 2 1/4". The six black keys are 1/2" by 1 1/2". The black card base is 9 3/4" wide by 7" tall and folded in half. I hand drew a template on cardboard to look like the top of a grand piano and my template looks like this:


I traced the template on the back of the black card base front and cut it out. I attached the white keys with just a little black showing in between each one and then attached the black keys with mounting tape to raise them. I stamped the "For Someone Special" sentiment on a 3/4" x 5" piece and attached it just above the keys, then trimmed. I added a few black gems to complete the front.

The inside of the card features Repeat Impression's large musical background stamp on a white piece of cardstock which is 4 1/2" by 6 1/2". When stamping a large background stamp that needs to be placed perfectly on the card stock, I highly recommend a new tool I recently purchased called MISTI (Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented.) It was designed by and is available on line at My Sweet Petunia.  I just got mine and find myself reaching for it very often to help getting a perfect stamped image every time- and if you don't, you can stamp it again and again in the exact same position. How many times have you almost completed a card and then you go to add one more stamped image or sentiment and it doesn't stamp well and the card is ruined or it has be salvaged some way? If you were using a MISTI, that would not happen. Here are some pictures I took showing the MISTI tool with the musical background large stamp lined up and then stamped repeatedly if need be:



(I "index" my Repeat Impressions stamps with black Stazon when I mount them on cushion and in this case, I drew the arrow to help me remember which side is up on the musical notes background.) I stamped the musical notes background several times using the MISTI and it turned out perfect.

I love how this card turned out and will be sharing it with my in home classes in the next month. I hope the tutorial I shared helps if you want to make one yourself.

11 comments:

Jacee said...

Fabulous Karen!
hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Chana Malkah said...

What a wonderful and creative design, Karen! Great concept, beautifully executed! Thanks for dropping this off by our house at 613 Avenue Create1
Hugz,
Chana, Owner

Liz said...

Love this card - fabulous design! xx

JJ said...

Hi Karen,

Wonderful card, love the design.

Love & Hugs

Jacquie J xxx

http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

Glittered Paws said...

Wow what a great card - I've been "thinking" about the Misti but just not sure yet.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh how I want MISTI - but they have yet to arrive here :-) Love the drama of the black and white card, and it is so beautifully made.
Blessings
Maxine

Deonna B said...

Awesome Piano card Karen! I love the tutorial and the beautiful card. Thank you for sharing your project with Through the Craftroom door this week and please come back and play in the new challenge starting today.

Deonna B said...

Awesome Piano card Karen! I love the tutorial and the beautiful card. Thank you for sharing your project with Through the Craftroom door this week and please come back and play in the new challenge starting today.

Deonna B said...

Awesome Piano card Karen! I love the tutorial and the beautiful card. Thank you for sharing your project with Through the Craftroom door this week and please come back and play in the new challenge starting today.

Deonna B said...

Awesome Piano card Karen! I love the tutorial and the beautiful card. Thank you for sharing your project with Through the Craftroom door this week and please come back and play in the new challenge starting today.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Fantastic card design. Sorry this is quick but internet leaves at a moment's notice.