Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Happy Holidays Sparkle with Nuvo Glimmer Pastes and Tonic Studios Dies


It’s a grey snowy day at the North Pole, but Santa’s sleigh is ready for his elves to fill it with toys. Before we know it, Christmas will be here! I have been playing with my Nuvo Glimmer Pastes and am sharing the four different ways I applied them to this holiday card.

I created the snow in the grey sky on this card using Tonic Studio’s Beautiful Bokeh 6x6 StencilMoonstone White Glimmer Paste and a stencil knife. Simply tape the stencil down with a temporary tape on three sides. On the bottom of Tonic’s stencils is a round tab that you can use to easily lift the stencil up with when you are done. Dip your stencil knife into the glimmer paste to pick up some paste and swipe it across the stencil filling all the little holes. Pick up any excess glimmer paste off the stencil when done and return to the jar. If you do not have a stencil knife like the one I am using, the inexpensive plastic ones sold in most craft stores will work just fine. Lift the stencil up from the bottom and you will see the lovely snowflakes created with this stencil and the Moonstone White Glimmer Paste.

Immediately clean the stencil and stencil knife with warm soapy water. Glimmer paste usually takes about 15-30 minutes to dry depending on how thick it was applied. While it was drying, I moved on to making my Happy Holidays Christmas Sentiment all sparkly with Emerald Green Glimmer Paste.

When I want to apply glimmer paste all over a die cut, I use an inexpensive large brush such as the type sold to apply paste. Any larger brush will do, but I suggest not using one you wish to paint with later. Even if cleaned immediately with soapy water after use, the glimmer paste will leave some residue in the brush, so I suggest dedicating a larger inexpensive brush for glimmer paste only. I simply dip the brush into the glimmer paste, pick up some and swipe it over the die cut cardstock. When it was totally covered, I moved it over to a clean spot and let it dry. Here is a closer look at the sparkly textured snow and Happy Holidays Christmas Sentiment. 


Another way to use glimmer paste is to highlight just a part of a die cut or craft project. I chose to do that with the runners of the Rococo Santa’s Sleigh that I die cut out of Tonic’s red mirror cardstock. After cutting and embossing the sleigh in my Tonic Tangerine machine, I highlighted the runners with Golden Crystal Glimmer Paste. I choose to use a q-tip when adding just a bit of glimmer paste on a part of a die cut.
One last way to apply glimmer paste is to use an inexpensive craft foam brush to swipe glimmer paste on, as I did with the snowbank on the bottom of my card. I simply tore a piece of white cardstock, picked up some Moonstone White Glimmer Paste with my craft foam brush and covered the cardstock with glittery “snow”.

I attached the Santa’s Sleigh Rococo die with pop dots to raise it. The sparkly snow and “Happy Holidays” were attached to my card with Tonic Funky Glue Pen and the Nuvo Fine Tip Glue Pen.
No matter which way you apply Nuvo’s Glimmer Pastes, they are an easy and fun way to add sparkle to cards and craft projects all year round!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great ideas

Jane Luxem said...

Beautiful card and your step-by-step is great!

dyeandpigment said...

Thanks Karen

Celeste Goff said...

This is so pretty!

Fikreta said...

this is so nice!

Maura said...

Beautiful snowy scene! That glimmer paste is awesome on your card, and love that sled! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! hugs, Maura

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love your scene card using that sleigh die and the snow. Wonderful Christmas card.