Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Tonic Studios Gingerbread House - Real or Faux?

I am having so much fun designing with the Gingerbread House Die from Tonic Studios! The minute I saw this die I knew I wanted to try to make a realistic looking gingerbread house using a "faux leather" technique I shared here on my blog.  There is a tutorial there and a link to the original video where I learned the technique, but briefly you use kraft cardstock (which Tonic now carries here), glycerin and distress inks for the look you see here. 


I embossed two of the sides of the gingerbread house with Tonic's Simple Stripes embossing folder (1443E) and added a couple gingerbread men from the same Gingerbread House die set and created with the same technique to the side of the house. The other two sides feature the beautiful detailed door and side dies that are also included in this die set. The icicles hanging from the roof and the snow on the roof, chimney and around the bottom of the house were all made with Nuvo's new Snowfall Glitter Accents. I also added glitter and crystal drops to the gingerbread men and the wreath on the door. Here is a close up of the roof: 



I die cut the roof and the "shingles" out of faux gingerbread pieces and glued them together. I added some Golden Sunset Glitter Drops, a gold mirror card (from Tonic) chimney and some more snow. 

If you are thinking about getting this Tonic Studios Gingerbread House Die Set or have one and need some tips, here is a link to a very helpful video on Tonic Studio's YouTube channel showing how to put the Gingerbread House together.

I love how this turned out and am hoping the special person who receives it today will love it too. It almost looks good enough to eat:)

I am entering this project in the "Gift It" challenge at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

10 comments:

Jane Luxem said...

This is way too cute and clever! Love it!

Die Cut Lady said...

Karen this is adorable! Have a wonderful Christmas.

Elizabeth Hart said...

WOW!! This looks so fabulous.

dyeandpigment said...

Looks real to me. Good work

kiwimeskreations said...

What a stunning project Karen - it looks gorgeous!
Blessings
Maxine

Em Louise Fairley said...

This is gorgeous, Karen!

Caryn said...

This is just beautiful - I love this design.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wonderfully done and yes, looks very real. You sure are doing great with the die crafting lately.

Unknown said...

Your house is fantastic. You put a lot of detail into it.
Can't wait to play around with my die when I get it.

Unknown said...

Returning the love after a wonderful visit from you to my blog . Your creations are wonderful your newest follower
Xx